Sunday, February 5, 2017

Worm Guts

Hey single follower! Also hey to any future follows or readers or whatever. Are jetpacks sustainable yet?

Anyway I haven't posted in a while, and I don't know what I was doing when I started this blog, but I own a piece of internet now, so I might as well use it. I'll tell some stories, see where it goes and such, and maybe I will look back on it later and marvel at my ignorance, like I am with my previous post at this point. Please disregard all previous posts.

A couple days ago, I had to dissect a worm, which is the ritual of freshman high school students. I won't put a picture on the actual blog, in case you are afraid of organs. But here is a worm gut picture I found on the internet, click at your own risk: http://www.biologyjunction.com/images/earthw6.jpg

It's all nicely labeled and everything!

So everyone had to get a worm from the worm bin at the front of the room. They worms were thankfully already dead, but smelled strange, probably due to whatever chemical was used to kill them.  We were instructed to make a small cut in the worm a quarter-inch below that tape-looking bump thing that worms have. Then we had to slice open the worm, being very careful not to puncture the intestine. My partner was much more squeamish about the whole ordeal than I, and so I had to do most of it.

Of course, the open worm had to stay open, so I had to use the "probe" to poke to connective tissue of the worm until it came apart, then pin down the skin with pins that gave me dramatic flash backs to my macrame days. It case you don't know what a probe is, it's just a long piece of metal in this context. Maybe the teacher thought we would feel more comfortable if we felt like members of NASA. I poked to torn worm body with the probe, and my partner was brave enough to do it too. I'm proud of her.

The point is, once you have broken connective tissue and seen the inside of a worm as it really is, you feel more connected the earth, and see the value of life. The worm was born, and then it was gassed, then it had to be picked apart by a bunch of unwitting humans, with macrame pins, all in an attempt to give them an education. One day we will all die, and be given back to the worms. The cycle will continue, and the worms are obvious to the whole thing, probably, because the have very small brains, and a worm that is cut in half will grow two new worms. Did you know that? It's creepy.

So make sure to live your life in a way that is meaningful, because we will all someday be at the whims of high schoolers with macramé pins.

Or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment